Games Games & More Games

Tuesday, July 13, 2004

Back to chess

Ok after a 5 month vacation from chess, it is time to resume. The problem is I really like chess. Poker is fun but I just don't get the same level of satisfaction from it. Yes it is more fun when you are tierd and just want some intertainment. Chess is fun but it is work. I have devised a new learning plan. This time I am not going to focus on openings as much as I did in the past, with one execption. I am going to learn the main line italian. People rarely play 3. Bb5 against me... but when they do I should at least know what I am doing. So the plan is:
  • Do chess (tactic) problems minimum of 15 minutes a day 5 days a week.
  • Find games from the openings I play from skilled players in that opening. A couple italian, a couple petrof, a french, a cambridge springs defense. Memorize them.
  • Memorize main line italian, main line 2 knight, main line fried liver
Since the majority of my games will not be played in the italian (at least online) I will not initially spend any time on the opening. If I were to resume play at chess club I should be well prepared in my white opening. The focus of my improvement plan is on building pattern recognition and strengthening my tactics. Therefore the games I select for memorization shouldn't just be "grind em out" games where the loser made a mistake. They should be games the winner won though a superior plan or tactical brilliance. (note to self... like that game from the Fisher collection that after playing though 5 times still couldn't believe it worked out.) There should be a game with the "classic Bishop sacrifice". Goal this week... find at least 2 games. Must be italians... I will start by looking through a collection of Morphy's games. BTW... I have done chess problems for about 20 minutes the last two days in a row before going to bed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home