Games Games & More Games

Thursday, July 29, 2004

Beer, Darts, & Holdem

I went out yesterday and played darts with a friend/co-worker. The last time we went out we played 2 sets (301 double in double out, cricket points, 501 free in double out) against a couple of guys who brought their large dart cases with them to the bar. We won 5 of 6 games in the two sets... and won the first game of the next set and they left. This time we played 9 total games: some cricket and some 501 double in double out. We won 8... After too much beer we went back to my friend’s house... (I drove) When pulling into his driveway he made a flippant remark about the last time we played heads up holdem. He killed me two games in a row... We were just practicing but he really bullied me around. I fired back at his comment with... "ya want to play now... “He agreed and then the banter about how much to play for started. After we agreed we divided up some chips (about 40 big blinds) and started. The first hand he went all in on the flop (3 9 K). I had K 10. He had 9 7??? We played two more times. The second game he was still pushing me around a bit. I moved in on him after he reraised me the first time with second pair and an outside straight draw on the turn. He called and I hit my set on the river (he had top pair). The third game was just good poker with no bully tactics. We both made some plays but not the crazy plays of the first game. After 20 minutes or so I finally got him to call me all in and it was an interesting hand. The prior two hands I laid down... the first one after a small bet on the flop... the second to a small bet on the flop and a pot size bet on the turn. I am dealt A 4 of diamonds I call and he checks. The flop is A 9 3 rainbow. Check Check. Q... he checks... I bet 2x the big blind... He called. River was a K no flush possible. I bet 2x the big blind again he raised me to 8 times the big blind... I thought for about a minute. Replaying the last 5 or so hands in my head. Replaying this hand. I am certain he thinks I bet the Q or two to flush that didn't hit. I am certain he either has the K or is bluffing the K thinking I bet the Q. He could have hit two pair and against most players I would have folded here but most players don't play so aggressive all the time and this big of a raise would either be nuts or a complete bluff. I decided I tricked him and he has no clue I have the A... I say calmly "all in." He instantly calls... I flop my A over and shrug my shoulders like, "you got me!"... He turns over his K and then throws a hand full of chips across the room... game over! Good nite!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home