Games Games & More Games

Friday, September 30, 2005

Poker (Dominated hands)

In holdem you will play with people who regularly play Dominated Hands. For example someone who plays Ace anything or K anything. They get killed vs AK or something like AQ. Even AQ is tricky to play because you could be up against AK. Sometimes you have to play something like K8 especailly in a short handed situation. The trouble is when you play them from early position. Say you limp in and 2 other people limp and the Big blind calls. That 4 in the hand. The flop comes K J 4 rainbow. Now what do you do. I lead out... (3 bets) two fold and the big blind calls. Turn comes a 7 (KJ47) with two to a flush now and a couple possible straights. That being said I could be out kicked. I checked... check... river 3 and no flush. Ok I figure there is not chance he called with 56 so now you are up against a possible 2 pair or k better kicker. So... I put him on J?. There are two competing ideas I have come accross from my poker playing buddy...
  1. If I bet there will be 10 bets in the pot plus my bet so say 15-20 bets... This is a good bluff situation cause he knows my hand is vulnerable or not so strong as I checked the turn (I do that often but he is not observant enough he will just think I am weak)... He could bluff but it will cost him about 20 bets... and cost me 15-20. But he could lay down K better kicker (not likely).
  2. If I check and he bets anything less that or equal to the pot I would be in the same positon as option one if he called which I was betting for value not bluffing. If he overbets the pot I can let it go and it only cost me 4 bets.

It just looks to me like a better play to make play #2. The thing is that I don't excpect someone to bluff by putting in a huge overbet. I look at option two as protecting against the raise. If he checks it down I think I win... if he bets I can win and it costs me about what I wanted to bet but couldn't withstand a raise. Option #1 I cannot withstand (catch) a bluff. Option #2 I will catch some bluffs. The downside to option #2 is that I will get milked on occasion for 6-10 bets. What is correct? I don't know.

So you might think you should bet the turn. You should be prepared to let it go if you got too much action on the turn. This is why I hate these hands. They are the classic win a little or lose alot hands. So try to play them as lose a little, win a little hands when you have to play them. --

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home