Games Games & More Games

Thursday, January 08, 2009

study... openings..

Ok... I spent allot of time once upon a time learning my openings... and I got to around 1600 on pogo... which is about 150 higher than I am hovering now. I am just getting trounced in the opening... and am just not converting enough WON positions when I do come out of the opening ok... URG... I played a couple games today and I am now sufficiently introduced to the Goring Gambit to begin serious study of it. My plan is to at least understand the main line and choose the responses I will play...

I figure it will take me several days of compilation to put together my choices of lines... BUT if I am going to play this opening I have to at least learn to take the initiative when my opponent plays out of book. Especially when they play out of book and ?! of just ?.

So I will hammer this thing down the main line to understand it... then... down the sidelines I totally expect to see. I have learned that Bxc3 followed by bxc3 is something I am not handling correctly. Hence my poor results.

Btw I am keeping up my tactical studies and I am getting better in that regard. but as much as tactics are opening doors to new wins... I am also missing things as well... where I though I saw a tactic ended up backfiring... part of the learning process.

Here is an example of a game where I had a won position and couldn't find my way... and also missed a tactic to win a piece...

I got stuck at this point where the difference in the move I made vs what fritz says is a whole 3 points or the difference between slight advantage and winning... Well here is where I paused for over a minute in the game... I just didn't see the correct continuation... I suspected I need to get my black bishop involved but for some reason didn't see how... oh well.

+ fritz suggestion

Later I missed this tactical spot and made the wrong move again... I should have seen this... !!!!!

+ show solution


Here is the entire game urg..

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home