Games Games & More Games

Thursday, February 19, 2009

stoyko excercise

I spent 2 hours on my first stoyko... and I went fairly deep in the one line that got me to various check mate or won positions... crazy thing I thought that was the principle variation. Once I was done with it the best move to defend was obvious to me. I wasn't sure it would hold but I saw how it prevented most of the ideas that worked in the other line. I was beginning to see the key squares and control of those squares.

Unfortunately after 2 hours and kids and stuff I started to get worn out. looking 20 ply deep into a line gets tough... and is exhausting. I think I am able to hold 5-10 ply fairly well in this position then it requires much concentration.

I also think that using my notes I am taking helps... As I go I write a line out as I am thinking about it and I am able to remember where the pieces are better.

I think that the stoyko excercises are of equal value to the correspondence games I played. Creates similar analysis and planning and calculations. The big difference is that I can't actually play they lines out.. I have to use my "minds eye"...

This excercise is tough which in my opinion is an indication it fits the deliberate practice. Definitely a once a week or once every other week type of task... very tough...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home