Games Games & More Games

Friday, January 23, 2009

Tactics suppliment

I ran across this website in the past week. http://www.chesstactics.org/

It is on the basic side for what I have looked it but the way it presents the ideas and the shortcut thinking pointed out for just the knight forks was quite valuable and I have seen an immediate increase in my ability to see knight forks and pieces that are on knight forking squares.

On top of that my rating at chess tactic server has been static for a couple weeks after peaking at 1377. I have been bouncing between 1340 and 1360. Today I had a nice session and I flirted with 1370 for the first time in a long time.

I really think that the combination of slow play and tactical training will bring about improvements in my play. Somehow I need to get over my fear of the opening and just accept that I really am lost at times and to just play good opening principles and the middle game will work itself out... all the time spent on openings will do me no good if I am dropping pieces...

I am going to start playing slower games at a wed night chess group (not uscf) about 2x per month.

One more thing... I read that (I think Dr. Dave wrote it)... G15 games are ok to learn an opening... so if I want to work on learning my new openings that is an ok time control...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home