Games Games & More Games

Saturday, January 10, 2009

Why the goring gambit

not sure? Well here is my thought process.

Before I took a near 2.5 year break from chess I was playing....

as white e4

  • e4 with the italian... with c3 and against the 2 knight I played the fried liver attack when given the chance instead of d4.
  • played for the alekhine chatard attack in the french.
  • Against the sicilian I punted... but tried a few things... nothing to my liking but honestly I didn't see much of it where I was playing (chess club and pogo)
  • Against the caro-cahn I played the advance varation and just guessed as I didn't have much beyond e4 c6 d4 d5 e5 known


As Black
  • Petrov but hated playing against the kings gambit and 4 knight stuff so I experimented with the caro-kahn and was having better luck with it!
  • Cambridge springs defense but since I was playing alot of games where that whole line was taken away from me I had experimented with the budapest gambit. When I got into a Cambridge springs I did well and event got some folks with the traps... the problem was I really didn't like being so defensive when I didn't get into that defense and ended up playing some variation of the orthodox QGD.


Against everything else... PUNT!

So back to my point... (did I have one)... oh yeah... anyways I wanted my focus to be the study of tactics for a bit. I was decided on hitting ct-art hard for a bit and doing the de la maza style cycles BUT.. I happened upon the chess tactic server and I really like it. So I have been doing that instead... why it is so engaging is a topic for another post...

Well now why change openings? Well for one I decided I wanted to break old thinking habits so one idea was to scrap my openings all together and thus make my mind start learning new stuff. In which case it would exercise my brain more! Also it is my belief that my thinking is corrupt in those lines I have played 2000 blitz games at... I figure a stint into another opening would not allow me to reuse bad thoughts and ideas.

Why the goring gambit? I don't know. I looked at the evans, and the scotch, and for some reason I discarded the scotch and thought the goring looked like fun.

why a gambit? well with tactics being my focus I figured they would go hand in hand. Force me to make aggressive moves because I have to fight being a pawn down. Study tactics and play games where they are likely to occur. (OPEN)...

Ok now my black problem...

Is the caro kahn really a good opening for me to be playing right now? who knows... I think I am better off playing e4 e5 as black and accepting my lumps to learn... but I could also consolidate my black study eventually by going the e4 french and d4 tarrasch route... BUT for now I will focus a bit on my white game and when I get that shored up I'll work on black... but the reality is I don't know what I am doing on either side... !!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home